Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hoo-Haw! (Sounds Like Hee-Haw!)

What is Hoo-Haw?  Hoo-Haw is a phrase that I use to describe speaking in tongues because that's what it sounds like.  A Hoo-Haw church is any church where they try to speak in tongues.  They really don't speak in tongues.  They really participate in glossolalia which is not speaking in tongues but they think it is!

Scripture clearly teaches that tongues is not for today.  It was used at a specific time for a specific purpose and that time has passed.  You will have to forgive me for my total lack of respect for people who try to do the Hoo-Haw thing when Scripture teaches against it.  Not only are my three sons doing the Hoo-Haw thing but two of them are in leadership roles teaching others to do the Hoo-Haw thing which is in direct conflict with the teaching of Scripture.

Hoo-Haw is not a heavenly language.  This term appears nowhere in Scripture.  Hoo-Haw is not the Biblical gift of tongues.  Hoo-Haw is "counterfeit tongues" which is gibberish and nothing more.  Spiritual gifts were never intended for the benefit of the gifted individual.  This is an abuse of tongues.  Tongues, according to Scripture, is real language, not just noise, grunts and groans.

Tongues will cease permanently according to Scripture.  The verb pauo in the Greek means "to cease permanently."  That means that they will not start up again.  Can I make it any clearer?  If you are trying to speak in tongues, you are in error.  You are in serious error!

There is only one conclusion that can be made about what is being touted as "tongues" today.  It is really just so much "Hoo-Haw."  Hoo-Haw is from Satan.  It is a "deceitful spirit" and a "doctrine of demons."  Tongues is nothing more than "learned behaviour."  Anyone can learn to do it including non-Christians.

Why do people do it?  They do it because of peer pressure to belong, to perform, to have the same gifts that everyone else has.  Remember the devastating effects that peer pressure had on you when you were a teenager.  Sounds dangerous and very destructive to me!


3 comments:

Martin O'Keefe said...

I have been following your blog for almost the whole time. You have taken a stand which most people would just say "so what" and tolerate this situation with your boys. I wish that I had been able to do that instead of going along and ending up losing my entire family and nearly my soul as well. Thank you.

David Miller (South Africa) said...

It is hard to stand by and watch your family fall apart. I'm sure if I knew then what I know now, I would have put up more of a fight for my wife. Instead, I watched her slip away because I thought it was just another Pentecostal church and now am grieving her loss to the wiles of her pastor.

The Grand Poo-Bah -- Purveyor of Truth said...

Thank you for your comments all the way from South Africa. You really don't realize how far your blog reaches until someone like yourself sends comments. Sorry to hear about your wife and we need to pray for each other and our families. Your comments were much appreciated. Keep in touch.