Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hope My Family Are Reading!

Grace Donner says - The more I read about what is going on with different families, the more worried I am about my children. They are involved in different churches in different parts of the world but all seem to have a similar slant on Biblical truth. They can tell God what to do and expect Him to provide exactly what they ask. They can all be healthy (fortunately, none of my family has any illnesses) and that they will have little or no opposition to becoming wealthy or whatever else they desire. This is so non-Scriptural. Christians are supposed to have trials. We do not get our reward until heaven and material blessings have never been part of the Apostles or Jesus' life. Bless you for sharing your story and the stories of your readers. I have noted some of the books from the photo and will try to purchase them so that I can read for myself. Thank you.

B. & R. Post says - These stories are almost beyond belief except for the fact that we are in the midst of a similar situation. Our grandchildren were invited to one of these "cults" by some friends. Our children had not gone to church in years and all of a sudden, the family means nothing and their church family is everything. We are beside ourselves about how this could have happened that we have now been told that we are not welcome in their homes at Christmas because their spiritual moms and dads are going to be there and we would be out of place. How did this happen? We know that you don't have the answer but please print our story so that others can be aware of how easy it is for children to be duped by these cults. We did not realize that they were involved in a cult til we started reading your blog. Thank you. We hope you can stay strong so that your family will eventually see the light.

Nance Smith says - It is nice to see that you are able to be objective and allow people to have their say. I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to many more informative and insightful comments from you.

Mitchell Graeffe says - Given all of the stuff going on with these fringe churches or cults, why aren't the main-stream churches doing something? Aren't they interested in protecting people from this type of influence? I guess as Canadians we are too "polite" to interfere but what does that say about our Christianity? My rant for the day.

The Grand Poo-Bah says - The mainstream churches are failing miserably in this area. When you talk to anyone in the mainstream churches about cults, they look at you kind of funny. The truth is they are not knowledgeable about the huge threat that cults represent in modern-day society. It requires reading to be knowledgeable on this subject. My experience on trying to find information about cults since I realized my children were in one is that many of the Christian bookstores are not carrying books on cults because these books implicate the Pentecostal church directly or indirectly. Many of the Christian bookstores are owned and operated by members of the Pentecostal church and they do not want these books on their shelves. I had to go to www.amazon.com, Chapters and websites to get most of my books on the subject. Sorry, I really don't have an answer to your question. Maybe somebody else can send in an answer.

D. Dee says - Well.. how do you manage to attract all of these individuals who are so misguided? Our pastor only wants what is best for us based on God's Word. Why would we read any books that are not divinely inspired by God? You really should take a good look at God's book and concentrate on it instead of reading works of man.

The Grand Poo-Bah says - Cults put blinders on people so that they can be controlled and manipulated by the leader. This is what your pastor has done to you. You need to read these books to make your pastor accountable for what he is teaching. What can possibly be wrong with reading books written by world-renowned Bible scholars? Your pastor is not God; he is just a man. After you read the books, I'm sure you will have a number of questions for your pastor to answer. You need to understand that he will not tolerate you questioning him. Then you will know for sure that you are in a cult and you need to get out ASAP. I hope this is helpful to you and any other readers.

Name Witheld says - I am very interested in this subject. We have had one of these "cult" churches open in our small town and they have been actively recruiting at our local high school by inviting the teenagers to "fun nights". My daughter went to one because her friends were going and when she came home, she was very concerned about what she had heard at this "fun" night - that this was the only place in town where the Spirit of the Lord was at work and that all other churches are dying. She was also assigned a "buddy" who has not stopped phoning her for weeks. We are going to have to change our phone number because they just won't quit. We are now reading Christianity in Crisis -- thanks to the Grand Poo-Bah. Forewarned is forearmed! Thank you.

Amiee Thornton says - Yes. John McArthur is a wonderful author and very knowledgable about this frightening phenomenon that is sweeping the world today. The sad part is the people get caught up in wanting everything now and not having to wait for anything. This puts them as prime candidates for this false Christianity like "health and wealth" theology. We as Christians need to pray that God will open the eyes of the foolish to where they are going to end up if they continue to follow this path.

Mariessa Browne says - My parents are involved in one of these places. I didn't know it until I was researching a paper on Joel Osteen and your blog came up. After reading some of the stories, I am very frightened for my parents' financial future. Thank you.

The Grand Poo-Bah says - I am also concerned for the financial future of my children. The pastor is the owner of their church/business. Health and wealth churches don't stop at 10% giving. There are numerous on-going opportunities for followers to part with their hard-earned money to various "worthy" causes on a weekly basis. Faith Movement churches are like big money-sucking machines with only one purpose in mind; making their pastor rich. You will soon discover that the Health and Wealth gospel is mostly about making the pastor rich while keeping the followers hoping for riches.

S. Shears says - Keep plugging on. Eventually, your sons will become disallusioned with the lack of fulfilled promises and get out.

D & D. Sisson says - We are very tired of you continuing to debase our church. You are just making us more determined to wait for God's blessings in health and wealth.

The Grand Poo-Bah says - You are the one being debased here. Your pastor is getting rich and guess who's contributing to his riches every week? You are. How long are you willing to wait for your riches -- a day, a month, a year, five years, ten years? Some people spend a decade in one of these false churches before they realize it's all a crock and that they're never going to be wealthy and finally get out. I just hope you are not willing to wait too long.




15 comments:

Davis Smith said...

What horror stories some of these people have. I am glad that you published the list of these cult leaders.

Erika Harrison said...

I would like to add my story. Last year my fiance met a pastor at some function. He was invited to an event at this guy's church. He really liked it so decided to keep going to the men's meetings once a week. (We were new to the town and really didn't know anybody). Within six months, he had broken up with me because I refused to go to the church with him. Now just over a year after his first meeting, he is married to someone at the church that was hand-picked by the pastor. His parents were devasted because he didn't even tell them that we had broken up.

Gayle Grisham said...

My children have been getting drawn deeper and deeper into one of these churches. At first, I didn't really see what was going on but I have just been uninivited for the holidays because their "new" family is coming. We always had a good relationship before they started believing that if they gave "seed" faith, they would be hugely rewarded here.. there is no basis for this in anything that I have read.

Menhardt Ryker said...

I'd like to say that your blog has really opened my eyes to some of the insidious things that are going on in the so-called Christian community. The fact that these cults are on television every week is frightening. There needs to be a grass-roots revolt against these groups.

Gillian Andersen said...

Having read a lot of these people's stories, it amazes me how things can get so out of hand in such a short time. At least that's what it sounds like. I am praying for all that God will restore the families.

Terese Wyatt said...

I hope your family is reading also. Everyone who has been in any kind of contact with any of these people should read your blog.

B. & G. Adams said...

Our story is very similar to yours. Our two sons and their families have been involved with a Word of Faith church now for almost 6 years. We have not seen them or their families for 4 years. Their new spirital family (the church) controls everything that they do -- or that's how it seems to us. Please add us to your prayer list for restoration of our family. We are praying for everyone on the list.

Jane Teston said...

It's about time that someone took on these faith churches. They are such a crock. My daughter and her family have been in one of the churches that you have mentioned. They get more distant from us every week. They have not been involved long so I am hoping that we can get her to read this blog when we visit her at Christmas. Thank you for openly discussing your issues.

Karl Wilson said...

Wonderful blog. We wish you all the best as you continue the fight against these cults.

D. Grey said...

I have lost my wife to these charlatans. Her pastor has gotten involved with a number of the wives and they are now moving to another state where they can "feel the Lord" without outside influences.

Bonita Inks said...

We have several of these cultic churches in our town and have watched with great concern as they have grown at an alarming rate. They started small - in people's homes and have now moved into other churches (renting) or storefront facilities. One of our friends has had her niece start attending and she has undergone a personality change that is frightening. Your blog has provided a lot of information that I can share with my friend.

R. Ryler said...

We are in agreement with your assessment that the mainstream churches are not assisting those of us with family members or friends in these cult-churches. It's as if they think at least they are going to church. But with a church like thi, they'd be better off not going. We enjoy reading your blog and are glad that someone like you is able to take a stand and not knuckle under to keep the peace in your family.

Annie Balder said...

I guess I was fortunate. I was invited to one of these churches and from the moment I went through the door, I knew there was something evil there. It's all very nice at first but there is a lot of darkness in the one I visited. When the chanting and gibberish started, well, I picked up my purse and left. There's nothing that could convince me to ever to back.

T.S. Callerone said...

Isn't it interesting that we are just now seeing the seriousness of these cult leaders after many many years of watching them come along and gradually gobble up innocent and gullable people. Having watched my church lose over half our members to the local "feel good" religious leader, I am appalled at how easy it was for him to lure these people in. Keep up the work, Brother.. it is not in vain.

O. Talbot said...

Having just found your blog, I find it utterly unbelievable that many people can be so taken in by something that is so wrong. No one is supposed to expect to be wealthy and healthy as a right. If God chooses that for you, fine. But we cannot tell God what to do. I will be watching and reading your blog with some interest in the future.